Do You See What I see?


I remember riding in my parents’ car the week before Christmas once it got dark. The destination was irrelevant. Holiday favorites were playing on the radio. Being cold outside, not always a certainty this time of year in Georgia, made it a better experience – even for me. “Look, look at that house! Look over there” was commanded by everyone in the vehicle throughout the ride. The car windows are fogging up. I use my hand and shirt sleeve to wipe an area so I can get a better view. Every colored light, every display, and every decoration caused my eyes to be wider and brighter. My anticipation for Christmas was heightened beyond description. I wanted everyone to see it the way I did. 

 

This time of year brings a very different perspective based on age, environment, or phase of life. As a child, you see the absolute satisfaction and joy a “necessary” present will provide. As an adult, you see the financial burden. As a child, you see the neighborhood displays as a celebration and invitation for everyone, including Santa, to be invited and proud. As an adult, you see the burden of making something similar happen. As a child, you see family gatherings as love, comfort, security, and bliss. As an adult, you may see disconnect, loss, pain, and strife. 

 

When Jesus was an adult and ministering to so many people each day, He instilled countless valuable lessons in his disciples. In two instances (Matthew 18:1-4 & Matthew 19:13-14), He offers the significance of a child because of their perspective. Not just from their innocence and purity, but their faith, hope, and anticipation. This is the message He wanted us to receive and the principle He wanted us to apply our entire life. It was certain by His own words in John 16 that we would have tribulation (trouble, affliction, oppression, pressure) in this world. But He is the source of strength and victory over all of it (John 16:33). Looking to Him instead as a child enables us the peace He also promises.  

 

Many of us are facing difficulties this week before Christmas. I would never diminish the fact that what you see is the reality of your situation. However, I would encourage you to view this time the way a child would and respond to the purity and hope of their perspective, perhaps your once-held perspective. Look at Christmas and more importantly, the Savior for us in this world, Jesus, as a child does - “Do you see what I see?”

Comments

Popular Posts