Early Rising

     I never have been a morning person. Some people take pride in opening their eyes while it's yet dark outside, popping out of bed, begin immediate exercise, drink a couple raw eggs, sing while getting ready, and running out the door. There's a sense of joy in sharing they don't need much sleep. These are the people that make it a point to let you know they arose earlier than you, no matter what time you awoke. Even if you stayed up all night, they haven't slept for two days. So, it's never been a competition in which I cared to participate. Though I understand sleep seems to be the biggest waste of our life, I know God designed our body to require it. Therefore, I cherish it. That's my attempt in making a spiritual message from physical selfishness. It sounded good.
     I was always one of the walking dead in school until at least 11:00AM. Since I've gotten older, much older, I awake earlier - for many different reasons. But, I still don't speak much until around 10:00AM. If God understands that, then so should all those who know me. Amen? Though I hate to admit it, there's significance in the early morning hours. A stillness like no other time in the day which allows clarity. Today was such that caused me to join the early risers, but not by choice. With my head pounding from sinus pain, I rolled out of bed exhausted, hurting, and disappointed. This is certainly not a moment that I wanted to speak to my Heavenly Father other than to complain. I had neither the energy nor the will to do so. Thankfully, He had no reservation in speaking to me.
     Sitting in my recliner, the only sound is that of a box fan in a distant bedroom within the house and nothing outside. Even nature has better since to be up at this hour. The stillness is real. Darkness, silence, exhaustion, and pain was my current setting. My mind begins to race and firing up to process the many items awaiting my attention this day. I'm staring out our kitchen bay window and notice the first subtle appearance of light from the morning sun. Simultaneously, silence was broken by one bird offering its song. Now, an ornithologist would give you the ins and outs of the specific bird, its song, and significance of the timing from nature's perspective. But, I believe the synced moment of the bird's song with the sun rising was a message in our recognition of the importance in beginning the day acknowledging the Son.
     Jesus led us in all ways while he walked this earth. When He began His ministry, "busy" was an understatement. Each day would be filled with travel, people, problems, challenges, physical exhaustion and stress. He was God, but He was God in the flesh. In the first chapter of Mark, we read about His full schedule of ministry throughout the day going well into the evening. In the midst of documenting the travel, encounters, and miracles of Jesus, Mark lets us in on an unpopular example He set for us.

     Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place where He prayed. - Mark 1:35

     He was here to fulfill His Father's plan. That plan would intel "busyness" for sure. But, Jesus knew that the execution of His part each day would begin by rising early to commune with the Father. The time may vary for you as to when your morning begins. You may be like me in that you struggle to speak, even to our Heavenly Father, until your body catches up with your heart and mind. A beautiful realization of our relationship with Him is that He knows our heart and mind. Open His Word. Allow Him to speak to you. When your focus is on Him first, your day will begin with acknowledgement in worship (a bird's song).
     Yes, the day may present many challenges and certainly be busy in our current culture, but "rising early" with Him will offer the necessary preparation for you to live the day in sync with worship and the Son.

Comments

Unknown said…
Words of beauty and depth. Thank you, Damien. (keep writing!)

Popular Posts